April 11, 2009

Trust and Confidence

MARCH 17

Good morning, Representative,

I read your e-newsletter, and I'm glad I signed up. I appreciate all you're doing for the state and country. My wife and I are recent transplants. We moved from DC last summer, so she could take advantage of PhD programming at Brown.

While you and I agree on lots of issues, I'm not so happy about the $24 million we received from the Omnibus. I fully expect the money you secured will help the state improve and grow, but A) I wish the state was self-sufficient and didn't need it, and B) I wonder if the money wouldn't do more if our state government was more efficient.

It occurs to me that the state is falling behind its obligations for reasons beyond its ability to generate revenue, so channeling more federal dollars to the state before dealing with long-standing structural problems and inefficiencies seems ill-advised.

As I read about the goings-on on Smith Hill, I can't help but be worried. I note the citizen comments under articles like these:

Lost in Transition: R.I.’s economy has failed to keep with the times

Trust and confidence in the state government are very low. Informal talks with old-timers in my office suggest the feeling is pervasive. This saps the hope of your constituents. I am writing to see if you have any thoughts on that last topic.

Do you have confidence in the state government? If not, are you doing anything to try to work with those on Smith Hill to address Rhode Island's systemic problems?

Thanks.
Robert

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  
APRIL 6



Dear Mr. REDACTED:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the economic crisis and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

As this new Administration takes office, our nation faces profound economic issues: mounting foreclosures, an imperiled banking system and a volatile stock market. With the middle-class struggling, the need for an economic stimulus was urgent and clear.

On February 17th, 2009, President Barack Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act into law. I supported this legislation, in part, because it promises to bring $1.1 billion to Rhode Island and will create or preserve 12,000 jobs. Leading economists across the political spectrum have noted that this package is crucial to reversing the direction of our nation's economy. This legislation also makes a number of important investments in our national fabric which will bear economic results in both the short and long term.

The largest component of this legislation is a tax cut for 95% of working Americans. This tax cut will take effect faster and will affect more workers than any other in American history. The tax cuts in the Recovery Act will also help families invest in higher education, make automobile purchases more affordable and strengthen our housing market by encouraging the purchase of a first home.

I am also proud of this bill's investment in the future of our education system. By making a commitment to upgrade classroom technology, renovate school buildings, and improve energy efficiency, our children and our nation will be better prepared to compete in the global economy. But the global economy is not just a thing of the future; members of today's workforce must update their skills and develop new ones in order to compete locally and internationally. That is why this legislation makes a significant investment in job training across the board.

I believe it our responsibility as policymakers to make sure the money we spend today delivers strategic and economic advantages to future generations. By constructing new hospitals, building research facilities and investing in a cleaner energy future, we will create jobs immediately and reshape tomorrow's economy.

The Recovery Act also makes an important commitment to American infrastructure by rebuilding highways, bridges, water infrastructure and public transit. If our nation is to keep up with the economic powers of tomorrow, our children will need a 21st Century infrastructure at their disposal.

Finally, I supported the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act because it will lend a hand to those most in need during these difficult economic times. This legislation extends unemployment insurance and increases federal food assistance. During a recession in which nearly 3 million Americans have been unemployed for over 6 months, these programs will help to alleviate human suffering and significantly stimulate consumer spending. The Recovery Act also included funding which will help communities stabilize their housing stock by building affordable housing and renovating foreclosed properties.

This past election, Americans spoke out and demanded new solutions to our economic crisis. The only cost which we truly cannot afford to bear is that of a deepening recession for our state and our nation. While this legislation is important, the proper implementation of the goals of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act will be critical towards ensuring its success. In regards to concerns that States and local public officials could potentially derail these efforts by using the funds inappropriately, be assured that Congress and the Administration are closely monitoring the use of all funds. Please know that I will continue to work with Congress and President Obama to make certain that America remains prosperous and productive for decades to come.

Thank you again for your correspondence. If you have questions about this legislation as the recovery program continues, I encourage you to contact me or to visit www.recovery.gov. Also, if you would like to receive information on this and other issues pending before the Congress on a regular basis, I would like to invite you to sign up for my e-newsletter. This newsletter is distributed by my congressional office and covers events going on in Congress and in our Congressional District that may be of interest to you. To sign up, please visit my website: http://patrickkennedy.house.gov.

I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding this or other issues of importance to you.

Sincerely,
Patrick Kennedy
Member of Congress

No comments: