September 07, 2008

Under Attack

Another eventful weekend is in full swing. We got some major rain Friday night, and then, Saturday morning the armory siren was going off. It was great. For about 10 minutes at 8AM. Didn't make much sense, because there were probably one-hundred dudes in fatigues standing around in the front and on the side smoking cigarettes. No need for alarm.

Later in the morning, I heard huge explosions outside, so I ran out there. This is what I saw next door.




Dewd. Not cool. There's no parking on our side of the street, and the Fox News truck rolled up onto Ellen's "hell strip" and demolished the flowers she had there. Brutal. There's ample parking a block away.

I also walked down the street toward the explosions. There was a band playing inside the armory and some sort of ceremony going on. I asked a couple guys in berets what was happening. Apparently, a "closing of the colors" or something like that. A guy explained, "The brigade will be no longer. Consolidation. Restructuring." I asked if he and his buddy (about my age) would be doing anything different as a result, and he replied, "No."


I saw a bunch of fatigue-wearing dudes in the cemetery shooting off blank (I hope, blank) mortars. Or else, WalMart and Home Depot were under attack.

The whole neighborhood was outside, and I met some of the folks down the street.


Then the police came to ticket the Fox truck and serve it notice for destruction of property. We'll follow-up with Ellen this week to see if anything came of it.



See all that smoke in the background? They shot off more mortars in the cemetery later on. So loud.

No comments: