July 06, 2009

For the Fourth

Sue left town on Thursday evening to visit friends down south. Left to my own devices with a 50% longer weekend, I got a lot done. In fact, my high school friends might agree that my productivity rose to the level of "buck" or "buck wild". I'll leave it up to you... you can judge whether or not I "got buck".

Here's a run down... removed cedar closet in basement, removed bench in basement, removed 10 feet of plywood+sheetrock wall in basement, tested fireplace with unusable, unfinished wood (It works great!), de-nailed all leftover wood, gave away via Craigslist old bedroom shelving unit, planted a fern and three ornamental grasses in backyard, mulched a few places, mowed lawn, acquired and installed auto-timer for living room lamp, buzzed hair again (gave my sideburn an errant nick), helped Julie clean her back gutter, did a bit of laundry, worked on art project, plus almost remembered to eat regularly.

Here's the closet removal series. The hole in the foundation you'll see appear halfway through leads to the sewer line six or eight feet beneath the driveway. The big pipe is from the upstairs bathroom. The drawers didn't work too well anymore.











It definitely feels more open down there, and as the boards came away, I discovered some significant non-structural water rot and some old termite damage.



The hardest part of the project, and the part that gave me the most cuts and scrapes, was removing nails from the boards. We'll use the cedar for something else, and I de-nailed and stacked up the leftover pine lumber in front of the house. Unfortunately no one has taken any yet.

You'd think I took an entire room to the studs or something! This is the pile of wood from the closet.


Here's the cedar all ready for another project.


This is how many nails had to be removed. Maybe... 500 in all? Yeesh.


I'll post the bench and wall removal tomorrow.

PS
I did fit in a little fun, too, in between all the getting buck. For the Fourth, Katie and Graham hosted an awesome BBQ at Colt State Park. Perfect weather, bocce, kites, frisbee, great food. Thanks Katie and Graham, and happy birthday again, Katie!


No comments: