March 18, 2009

Ocean State Politics

Happy hump day, peoples. We hope everyone had a nice pint of Guiness last night (or in the afternoon), especially Uncle Stephen, who celebrated his birthday!

As the state is gearing up for the 2010 Governor's race, a key candidate dropped out: Cicilline, Providence's mayor. Here's the story.
Cicilline, 47, was elected mayor of Providence in 2002 with more than 80% of the vote, becoming the first openly gay mayor of a state capital. He was reelected handily in 2006.

Despite high approval ratings in Providence, Cicilline placed third in a recent poll that assessed voters’ preferences for the Democratic nomination for governor in 2010. Some political observers believe he may have been damaged by a recent scandal involving his brother, an attorney who was convicted of extorting money from clients who dealt drugs, and accused of writing bad checks to the city of Providence.

Then Cicilline wrote a blog entry at RIFuture.com explaining his decision to run again for mayor. He got a mixed, but brisk reception from readers. Check the comments, and some of the back and forth. Here's an example:
I have taken a lot of opportunities on this and other blogs to say how poor a mayor I think you are. I have also debated a few issues with you on talk radio. I am certainly glad you are out of the Governor's race.

Charles Drago, with whom I am totally unacquainted, basically covered my reasons for disliking your tenure as Mayor.

I am not complaining about taxes, snow removal, or garbage pickup (it has improved), but the issues of the police chief and the de facto sanctuary city among others are the reasons I will do my best as a taxpaying Providence resident to see that whoever runs against you wins.

I can't believe a one time ACLU lawyer would go with red light cameras, abusive parking enforcement, allowing a toady to try to influence Municipal Court handling of traffic violations, and worst of all try to railroad a career educator without due process.

The "check" and your brother has been covered ad nauseum-I will await the outcome of the RISP investigation before making a comment.

Hoping against a third term for you.
Joe Bernstein

And then today, I saw this post from Friday by Charles Drago... wowsers, talk about burning bridges:
I was one of David Cicilline's earliest and, I have no hesitation to note, most important advisors during the 2001-2002 campaign.

Upon his Primary victory, Cicilline, before witnesses, promised me that he would deliver -- direct quote -- "a City job" to thank me for my services.

He did not do so.

For the next four years I refrained from public commentary regarding Cicilline.

In 2006 I was hired by the Providence City Council to fill the position of Manager of Communications and Media Relations. Within days of coming on board, Cicilline greeted me warmly, congratulated me on my new gig, and otherwise expressed his best wishes.

Within weeks he was maneuvering to have me fired.

He was fearful that then-Council President John Lombardi -- the politician who Cicilline fears and loathes to this day -- would gain political advantage by utilizing my masterful literary skills and political savvy to take on the mayor.

Anyone else see a bucket-full of irony here, especially in the final excerpted paragraph? How ridiculous and ugly. Ocean State politics.

No comments: