December 09, 2008

No Oil Chamber

11/18/2008 9AM

Hello. I'm trying to figure out how much oil to put in the gas before I fill up a used mower I purchased.

It seems that all your links to user/owner manuals on your homepage are broken. Every time I click a link to a PDF manual, it says: "The page you are looking for is no longer available." Here's the link to the page I'm trying to utilize:

Briggs and Stratton Documents

Thanks.
RG

* * *

11/18/2008 11AM

Robert,

Thank you for your inquiry.

In order to respond to your question, you first need the engine's STAMPED model, type, and code numbers. All of our engines have these numbers STAMPED, primarily by the Spark plug, muffler heat shield, rewind/blower housing or on the OHV cover (if equipped). Although some of our engines may also have a UPC bar code label, it's always best to use the STAMPED numbers as your primary source. I do admit, the numbers on the engine are a bit harder to find. Unfortunately, due to the several hundred thousand possible number combinations, I will be unable to provide you with a model number for this engine.

Keep in mind that the numbers that begin with the statement "Family:xxxxxxxx" are not the engine numbers, but rather come from the federal emissions label. You need to look for a series of STAMPED engine numbers.

If you have a chrome OHV cover, you may have to remove this decorative cover in order to reveal our OHV valve cover, and the stamped engine numbers.

For more information on the chrome OHV cover, please view the following FAQ:

Title: Model, Type, and Code on OHV engines powering generators

URL

If you have any further questions, feel free to update this e-mail, or call our engine Answer Center at 866-927-3349, M-F 8-5PM CST.

For Briggs & Stratton Branded Power Products questions call our Answer Center at 800-743-4115, M-F 8-5PM CST.

Sincerely,
Cheryl
Briggs & Stratton Answer Center

* * *

11/18/2008 5PM


Okay so... all the stamped numbers on my lawn mower engine read:

10H902 0285 E1 03092254

Thanks.
RG

* * *

11/19/2008 3PM


Robert,

Attached is the Owner's Manual for your engine.

If you have any further questions, feel free to update this e-mail, or call our engine Answer Center at 866-927-3349, M-F 8-5PM CST.

For Briggs & Stratton Branded Power Products questions call our Answer Center at 800-743-4115, M-F 8-5PM CST.

Sincerely,
Cheryl
Briggs & Stratton Answer Center

* * *

11/19/2008 3PM

Hey there, Cheryl,

Thanks for your help. I'm going to go home in a bit and check again, but I'm about 100% sure there's no oil compartment (and no dip stick) for this engine.

Is there a variant of this engine that uses 2-cycle oil (that you mix with the gasoline before filling the gas tank)?

I'll report back. Thanks.
RG

* * *

11/20/2008 10AM

Hey there, Cheryl,

So I looked at the engine again last night. It does not have an oil chamber. It looks more like this:

Online Pic #1

or this:

Online Pic #2

I'd love the manual for it, but if you can't send me that, can you tell me how much oil to mix in the gasoline?

Thanks.
RG

* * *

11/24/2008 9AM

Robert,

I spoke to a technician regarding your question and he said that you do not mix oil with gasoline. For your engine (10H902) the oil capacity is 18-20 oz.

If you have any further questions, feel free to update this e-mail, or call our engine Answer Center at 866-927-3349, M-F 8-5PM CST.

For Briggs & Stratton Branded Power Products questions call our Answer Center at 800-743-4115, M-F 8-5PM CST.

Sincerely,
Cheryl
Briggs & Stratton Answer Center

* * *

12/9/2008 9PM

Hey there, Cheryl,

Thanks for your help and patience. I've taken pictures of my mower engine, and I've posted them to this website: Provident Pilgrims. I'm sorry to keep pestering, but the engine I have has no oil chamber. I'm still needing the owner's manual, so I can keep the engine running.



Here are image captures from the manual you sent me. The second one shows how to put oil into the engine. See how my engine doesn't have that compartment?




Sorry. Thanks.
RG

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's that box on the right had side? In that box you might find the oil chamber with the filter. If you open it, is it full of oil?

Rob said...

According to the manual that's the "air cleaner".

Full disclosure: I figured out how to capture images from the owner's manual Cheryl sent only just now. Hopefully adding those pictures makes the situation more plain.

Hack said...

Hey dogger- in pic #2, see that cylinder with the two little nubbies sticking out the top? Apply fingers to nubbies and twist.