October 14, 2009

Rasp and Blue

Happy hump day! How is everyone doing this morning?

We're doing well (thanks for asking), but man... last year we made a rule to only turn on the heat on NOV1. We failed to live up to it and cranked Bessie up as of OCT28. Well, it's a mere 55 degrees in the house this morning, and it was *hard* to get out of bed. I guess I have to reattach the radiators.

(We had taken a few apart to paint behind them, and we planned to sandblast them clean and paint them silver... but never got around to it.)

Anyway, after we removed the burning bush this weekend, I built and hammered into a place a third garden bed.



Sue thinks it's starting to look like a farm back there, and I'm thinking, darn right! Ha. Next year we'll have a real harvest! I'm considering planting some fruit bushes (rasp and blue) where the tree used to be.

In other news, I'm getting pretty antsy about restarting animated collage projects. I think I figured out how to mount the camera downstairs, so it'll be easily adjustable. Here's a sketch:


Two potential problems: 1) I wonder if someone is walking upstairs, will the camera shake? 2) Do they sell locking reels, or how can I lock them, so the board/camera won't suddenly crash down onto the workspace?

Ultimately, I'd like to build a multiplane rig with several planes of "floating" glass - like this - but for the moment, I'll experiment with the simplest approach.

2 comments:

Hack said...

How can you keep it from swaying?

Divers reels lock:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_969/Context_965/Sort_Price/DescSort_0/AQUADR.html?Hit=1

Rob said...

Nice! Thanks, Hacker! The swaying could also be a problem, but if I added weight to the board, perhaps I could avoid that?

I showed Jonathan this drawing. He suggested it was too complex, and maybe we can just saw the legs off a tripod and attach the extend-able neck to the underside of a joist somehow.

I dunno how it will turn out, but I *will* make it work.