August 14, 2009

Heels Over Head

Happy Friday, peoples! Hope everyone is well. After a day of rain yesterday, the weather has cooled down significantly. Feels like fall is coming on, but I'm guessing we'll get some scorchers later this month. Temperatures in town haven't hit ninety this summer, which is abnormal (and abnormally nice for those with only one wall AC unit).

This Sunday night I'll play in the last soccer match of the summer season down at Cranston stadium. My team lost a playoff last Sunday while Sue and I were family reunioning, so we're in the consolation game.

The fall season's registration is now open, but I don't expect to sign up. While it's been fun to play again, A) I'm not going to improve in this format, and B) playing with a wide range of players with wide-ranging skill levels is a bit dangerous - as evidenced by my being flipped heels over head in the air by a bad tackle a month ago. My shoulder is still a wee tad tender.

In the place of soccer, I'm goofing around with running again. I've gone through phases over the years, and maybe now that my schedule is pretty regular, I can set up a training regimen that works. Wish me luck.

I don't think I mentioned that Sue also hurt her right shoulder. As a matter of fact, the night before we left for Botswana we visited the urgent care clinic on North Main. Sue had fallen off her bike that afternoon, and she caught herself with her right arm, twisting her shoulder painfully. Well, it's still aching. The rowing last night didn't hurt it, but she's still having trouble carrying groceries, putting her bag in the car, and other dumb things that you would never think about unless you hurt your shoulder. She's icing and taking Advil, but if it still hurts in September, it'll be time to get an MRI. She's not pleased.

Ah well... enjoy your weekends, friends and family. We'll be down in the basement trying to make a nice room out of it. Cheers!

PS
RISD - Providence's world-renowned downtown art and design school - is experiencing some upheaval, but don't you love news stories written by reporters who know nothing more than people on the street? It seems like 50-75% of the stories in the ProJo these days are printed before anyone at the news desk took the time to make a phone call to set-up an interview. RISD president Maeda to address concerns.

PPS
Congratulations to ever debonair James Allen Decker on making it to the one-month mark on planet Earth: DeckerChronicles.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Thanks for the shout out, Uncle Rob!
- Sweet Baby James