July 08, 2009

Whoo-aiting

Sunday thru last night I fit in an art project. I've been wanting for quite a while to do a cut-out piece with an owl in it. If you look way back in January at Waddle Quack Waddle, you can see the first owl prototype. Here it is.


That was my first cut-out practice. I modeled it after this cool wrapping paper.


Now, here's the second version.


I will use her for something, but she didn't fit so well with the project, so I put her aside. I ended up with a silvery gray little guy. This is called Whoo-aiting.



The project is 12 by 18 inches. I put a coat of gloss on it that adds a sheen, protects the papers and brightens the colors, but the gloss makes accurately photographing it difficult. I tried a few different configurations with lights and what not. The colors in the first one are yellowed-out, but the sheen is handled well. The second one has better color (black is deep black as it should be), but there's distracting glare on the left. I think Sue or Jonathan will have to help me out, else I'd spend as much time trying to get a good photo as I did making the darn thing!

Anyway, this is my last post of the week. That conference we've been planning runs this afternoon thru Friday. Be good and do good!

PS
The first "haul" from the garden included three beets and one squash. The beets are mild. Haven't yet eaten the squash.


No comments: